The general objective of CLIM-RUN project is to contribute to the creation in the Mediterranean area of a Climate Services Network, in line with the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO) on-going process, initiated with the creation of the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS) in 2009, and to what has already been set up in Northern European countries (e.g. the United Kingdom and Germany). In fact, the Mediterranean area is a recognized climate change hot spot, i.e. a region particularly sensitive and vulnerable to global warming. CLIM-RUN will provide an important instrument for the development of a Mediterranean-wide network of climate services that would eventually confluence into a pan-European network.
To reach this aim, CLIM-RUN will pursuit the following objectives:
- Increasing the quality, reliability and detail of climate information for societal use in the Mediterranean area by activating an effective exchange of information between the science and stakeholder communities, in key economic sectors: energy and tourism. These two sectors will be complemented by a cross-cutting issue, forest fires, whose occurrence in the Mediterranean concerns several business activities and by integrated case studies in which multiple sectors are involved.
- Developing a communication protocol by which climate information is transferred from the researchers to the stakeholders in order to develop suitable adaptation measures. The most innovative aspect in the development of this protocol will be its bottom-up approach, by which stakeholders will be involved in the design of the protocol from its early stages in conjunction and strong communication with the science community and the climate information providers (e.g. national and international Meteorological Centers). The protocol will be illustrated through its application to a series of case studies throughout the Mediterranean basin.
- Developing and providing training for a new research expertise lying at the interface between the science results and the stakeholder application.
- Developing a web-portal for:
- Integrating the different levels of climate and sector-relevant information and tailoring the dissemination for different stakeholders (policy makers,business stakeholders etc.);
- disseminating on-line surveys to increase the number of the stakeholders outside of the case-study level;
- optimizing communication within and outside the project (e.g. web communication tools, blogs, social-networks) iv) supporting e-learning tools (training on-line, interactive material etc.).